Blue Heron Ministries hopes to fill one field steward internship position for the remainder of the 2017 field season. We are a nonprofit Christian land conservation organization based in Angola, Indiana.
We work with other nonprofit organizations, governmental agencies, and private land owners around northeast Indiana and southern Michigan. Blue Heron Ministries is an opportunity for folks to apply the hands-on craft of ecological restoration to steward our Lord’s creation within the context of intentional community. A description of this internship is as follows:
- Intensive and arduous labor.
- Term will be September 5 thru December 15 (flexible). If the internship is a fit both ways and if projected workload is adequate, the internship may evolve into a full time field position in 2018.
- 35-40 hours a week.
- Invasive species control predominantly in wetlands in Steuben and LaGrange and surrounding counties (Indiana and Michigan). Some travel for distant projects (up to 3 hours) will also be likely.
- Control of herbaceous and woody invasives (i.e. reed canary grass, common reed, autumn olive, bush honeysuckle, etc.) will involve herbicide applications.
- The intern will participate in Blue Heron Ministries’ prescribed fire team (late summer and fall).
- Prairie and wetland seed collection and installation projects are a minor component of our work, as well.
- Work conditions will be cold or hot, wet, and poisonous (sumac and Massasaugas)…but where else can you enjoy the presence of God while caring for His creation in such a tangible way?
- Intern must have a positive attitude, the willingness to learn and take direction, the ability to work independently and with a crew, and possess an attention to detail. No experience necessary.
- Intern will obtain an Indiana pesticide applicator’s license during the internship.
Interns will gain knowledge on a number of topics including but not limited to:
- Plant identification and monitoring
- Land management practices within prairie and oak ecosystems
- The lawful, ethical, and safe use of herbicides
- Wildlife surveys and monitoring
- Opportunities to network with other conservation organizations
Send resumes to email@example.com Attn: Nate Simons by August 21, 2017. Applicants will be called for interviews later that following week.