Blue Heron Ministries is looking to fill one field steward internship position for the summer of 2020. We are a nonprofit Christian land conservation organization based out of Angola, Indiana. We work with other nonprofit organizations, governmental agencies, and private land owners in and around northeast Indiana and southwest Michigan. Our mission is to build communities where creation is kept and keep creation so that community may be restored. A description of this internship is as follows:
- Intensive and arduous labor.
- Term will be the beginning of June thru mid-August (flexible).
- 35-40 hours a week.
- Invasive species control predominantly in wetlands in Steuben, LaGrange, and surrounding counties (Indiana and Michigan). Some travel and overnight stay will be required for distant projects.
- Control of herbaceous invasive species (i.e. reed canary grass, cattails, purple loosestrife, etc.) will involve herbicide applications. Some upland and wetland brush control will be included.
- Work conditions will be hot, wet, and poisonous (poison sumac, poison ivy, Massasaugas, etc.) but where else can you enjoy the presence of God while caring for His creation in such a tangible way?
- Flexible to work with course requirements.
- Able to assist with housing.
- Intern must have a positive attitude, the willingness to learn and take direction, the ability to work independently and with a crew, and possess an attention to detail.
- No experience necessary.
- Intern will obtain an Indiana pesticide applicator’s license during the internship.
- Interns will gain knowledge on a number of topics including but not limited to:
- Plant identification and monitoring
- The what, why, and how of ecological restoration
- Land management practices within prairie and oak ecosystems
- The lawful, ethical, and safe use of herbicides
- Opportunities to network with other conservation organizations
Send resumes and cover letters to mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org attn: Nate Simons, by February 28, 2020. Applicants will be called for interviews the following week.